Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Highs and Lows

The last few weeks have been rather rocky for me. I have experienced a "proper" second typhoon which seemed to have brought with it a lot of turbelence in my life. I have been chucked out of a bar because of my ethnicity, an interesting situation which made me realise the true impact of what its like to be the victim of racism. I have been floored in a nightclub (I have never even been in a fight before.) which was highly embarrasing and I have split up with my Japanese girlfriend.

But thats living abroad for you! The peaks are high and the troughs are low. Theres always that yo yo feeling. When things are great, theyre great; when theyre crap theyre crap. Its all part in parcel of the experience. Its never quite the rose tinted world that you imagine yourself to live in but then its a lot more interesting than living in some kind of perfect world.

Life rolls on...

2 Comments:

At 4:29 am, Blogger Alex said...

Being chucked out of a bar because of your ethinicity is as illegal in Japan as anywhere else - even if you are English (unlucky sod). If I were you I'd just pick on the scab or at least bring the incident to public light. The bar will be ashamed to lose face in front of its customers, and chances are they'll set things right. (Not that you'd ever want to go back there again, but at least it feels good to right a wrong, and you'll save someone else from being chucked out in the future). Never let the assholes here talk you into accepting their xenophobia in a bogus claim of it being 'the Japanese way'. "A rose is a rose is a rose", like Gertrude Stein would say, and while I'm not particularly erudite about her work, I can definietly say that it fits your case like a glove. Cultural differences exist, but they do not take precedence over your status as a human being.
In other words: fuck the fucking fuckers.

 
At 5:36 am, Blogger Wolffie said...

Thanks alex! By the way hows it going? Im not sure if i have your new email? Does it allude to "your great people?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home