Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Anpaman

Over the last few weeks, whenever I have shown anyone my bank cashcard, I have been met with either derision or laughter. I started getting paranoid, thinking my bank was some kind of joke; then I realised they were not laughing at that me but the funny image of cute superhero Anpaman. Anpaman is no ordinary superhero because he actually consists of dough or pastry or something. In times of peril and need he donates his head to the starving peoples of the world so that they can be nourished and he is then rebaked by his master. What kind of sick f***** up country is this!?

Other than that I have been to Mount Aso the largest caldera in the world and just a hop skip and jump from Kumamoto. Going to Nagasaki this weekend. Also now the brunt of office gossip for something completely uninteresting but hey this is small town and boy news travels fast.

The other day I strolled into a really cool little bar with a capacity of maybe 8, its awesome and I struck up conversations with the locals in no time, showing them my various pictures and the like, I even sang Karaoke. Im endeavouring to keep it a secret from other gaijin because it is nice to feel totally immersed with the japanese. The only problem with it is that the guy i thought was a pimp (see previous post)frquents there and he turns out to be an estate agent, doh!

4 Comments:

At 6:47 am, Blogger Alex said...

Oh no, you bastard! I must know where this bar is, or I will cut you! In return, I can show you to a rather pricey 300 year old tea house that sells cruelly delicious maccha and sweets.

Anpanman rocks. Any superhero filled with sweet anko goodness is a superhero to cherish.

And by the way, they might have been laughing at your card, but they were most definitely also laughing at you. A large chunk of Japanese humour is based on cruelty and mutual derision - also, never forget that as a gaijin you're a permanent carrier of the village idiot syndrome. Take it with a smile!

Bai bai (kin).

--
Alex

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger Wolffie said...

Sorry mate im not telling a soul. I know its selfish, im sure ill let on eventually. People laugh at me all the time over here but im sure they secretly envy me and wish they could frolic in their idiocy...

 
At 11:12 am, Blogger ambrose said...

yo andy just wondered, speaking of cartoon characters, have you seen any of the soviet cartoon bear, cheburashka? i heard it was 'big in japan'......

 
At 1:44 pm, Blogger Wolffie said...

hmmm i dont know of it. The only popular russian thing that i know of are the whores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home