Sunday, April 30, 2006

Golden Week!

Well its the start of Golden Week, which means for me one weeks holiday. Unfortunately though I am completely skint so I would be better calling it charcoal week or something. Things are going pretty somoothly with my new job, my students seem in general to be a very nice bunch though in all honesty I would prefer to be doing 50/50 adults kids as teaching children tends to be pretty tiring, especially when you have three hour back to back lessons. Actually in all all honestly id lie to be doing less teaching in general and focusing on something else. This looked like the plan at the beginning of this year but rather disastrously floundered.

I am starting to become concerned over a SOHD, sense of humour deficiency. Is Japan knawing at my capacity to be funny and creative? Sometimes I have to wonder, coming back to the uk my brain went into witty mode, but having been back in Japan I feel like a beached whale, an island of sarcasm surrounded by an ocean of slapstick.

In Japan where trying to be dull and blend in like an inconspicious sweater from Marks and Spencers is a true virtue,has Japan has actually made me more boring.. When you are lauded as being cool or interesting because you have hobbies other than sleeping or for being ginger you have to wonder is Japan character building or character deconstructing?

I guess what im really looking for right now is a decent challenge. I have always been someone who reacts better to harder things than easier ones, I always did better in the harder maths test than the easier one and love the complexity and the high demand needed to learn kanji. Teaching can be a very challenging profession if not one of the most. But the problem is that if the shortcut is available for me I will take it, which is too often the case with my employment in Japan right now.

I love Japan and want to stay here for the forseeable future but ultimately if I cant get into any other kind of career mode I am going to have to leave because my brain is beginning to rot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home