Saturday, July 10, 2004

In Japan

Well i have finally arrived in Japan and boy and im tired!
My travels started on thursday afternoon. Upon checking in i was told my visa had expired and I couldnt go. The lady at the desk however then realised she was actually looking at the issue date. Such was her embarrasment that she bumped me up to business class (well thats what i like to think anyway!) So the flight was good, had ample leg room and amazing food. Arriving in Osaka I was greeted by a comical half japanese half irish guy who whisked me off straight onto another connecting flight and relieved me of my two suitcases which was a little worrying but i have them now. When I got to Fukuoka I was then greeted by another fellow who put me on a train to Kumamoto. Thats when I realised I was in Japan. I was alone and it was quite intimidating, fortunately there were some taiwanese who spoke a little english and they made sure i got off at the right place. What was truly terrifying however was trying to find my flat. I was armed with a map but it was of no help to the taxi driver who drove me to the nearest intelligble place to it. I went around asking people pointing at the map but to no avail. Then some ladies took pity and decided to help me and drove me around the block about 40 times trying to figure out where the hell it was. Finally we found it tucked away behind another block where I orginally thought it was (and intruded upon an old lady doing so!)
I have never felt so relieved!

2 Comments:

At 11:22 am, Blogger ambrose said...

hi andy, good to see tha you are are safe and sound, and have managed to find somewhere to live, despite the difficulties! surprised someone from JET didnt help you thru the accommodation process, but you survived, things will be a bit easier now you have a roof over yr head.

anyway keep us updated, do you not have like 10mbps internet connection in yr house or something (along with robot toilets et al.)!? will be checking yr blog to hear your news so spare no detail!


Ambrose

 
At 4:03 pm, Blogger Wolffie said...

Most people are chaperoned to there house and I think I was quite exceptional. Im not with the JET scheme but with a very big private school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home