Saturday, May 08, 2004

Right in order to get my visa type thing, I have to propose some sort of travel itinerary for japan. The only problem is that I have no clue, particularly as I have no idea of where I am going yet. As short circuit would say "I need input" If anyone has any suggestions or links to long stay travel suggestions to Japan It would be greatly appreciated.

I have been reading my grandfathers memoirs recently which are very interesting. He lived in Japan as a french teacher in Kyoto in the late 1930s, a fascinating and exciting period. Towards the end of his stay he was monitered by the Japanese authorities and even had his flat broken into. Himself and some compatriots were also carefully monitoring the activites of German merchant vessels untill they were found out and expelled from their lookout.

He had a very active life and lived as a diplomat in Australia, New Zealand, Los Angeles and Chicago in America, Cardiff, South Africa and Gibraltar. What is interesting about these memoirs as is not so much what he puts in as what he leaves out. Lots of talk about the politics of the time, meeting the stars in LA such as Mansfield and Monroe but he says little about other things such as his life from 24-30.

The advantage with personal diary blogs vis a vis autobiographies and memoirs is that they are more of a stream of consciousness, they tend to be more candid and honest. I was thinking if politicians all wrote blogs they would restablish a sense of honesty and interest back into politics. Mind you most blogs talk a lot of crap of well so what's new there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home